2nd cup of coffee
Random dozen 11/23/09
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous?
We were going to have a chicken dinner, but after talking it over we decided to go with burritos. We will also have rice and re-fried beans. I will make a pie though because I have to.
2.Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.")
I am thankful for my family and oh geez what a pat answer. Of course I am thankful for my family and friends and health and blah blah blah. But truthfully if you want a concrete answer I am thankful for my cats. They make me laugh even when I am crying. They comfort me when I cry. They keep me warm on cold winter nights. They play like kittens but both a getting old. They are cheap entertainment and I love them.
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for.
I am thankful to live in a country where we are allowed to have different opinions and to be able to share those opinions with one another. I can't imagine living in fear of having the wrong opinion.
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
I remember one Thanksgiving as a kid there was a lot of snow on the ground. My brother and I pleaded with mom to let us go sledding before the company came for dinner. She let us go but told us not to get wet. How does one go about sledding without getting wet? We got home and not just our outside things were wet but we were wet down to our undies. I don't remember what happened then. I don't even know why this one sticks in my mind but it does.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?
The Christmas movies make a come back!! YEA! It is the special day of the year I get to drag the movies out and start the Christmas movie marathon. Yea! I like Christmas movies. Yea!
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
Not in a million years. They don't like people food. Unless it is tuna.
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?
I pray to myself. My husband is not a believer. I first pray a formal prayer then I pray a few words of my own thanks.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?
No football in this house. We will be watching Christmas movies. (See #5)
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?
Not in any stuffing I make. It won't happen no way no how. Never.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?
The basics. I know that the Pilgrims shared with the Indians (or is that folklore?) because the Indians showed them how to plant. I know that the Pilgrims didn't cook or do work from Friday until Monday because of their religious beliefs.
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?
I am going to make an apple pie and home made cinnamon ice cream.
12. Do you feel for the turkey??
Nope, I am a meat eater.