Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday Scribblings - Indulgence

My husband overindulges in most things. He has overindulged all of his life. That is why at the age of 62 he had a 6 way by-pass done. Since then he has done everything is his power to ignore the doctor's orders for his health. He smokes, he drinks too much, and he has atrocious eating habits.

I try to have healthy choices available for him, but I can not force him to eat what is there. He would live on peanut butter sandwiches or bean burritos.

I quit trying to cook for the both of us because he never wanted to eat until possibly 6 PM or later. I am up in the morning by 7, he sleeps until 1 or 2 PM. I am hungry long before him.

But once in a great while, I will cook something that I know is one of his favorites. Just because it is one of the only ways I can show him that I care.

He adores potato salad, mine in particular. I hate making it and he knows this. I will make it for him as a surprise every few months. He will eat nothing but potato salad until it is gone.

Another favorite is beef stroganoff served with wild rice. He will be getting that treat later this week. I will have it for dinner with him. Along with it we will have a nice bottle of wine, and probably a fresh vegetable. The vegetable is mainly for me because he won't touch it.

So even though he has had an overindulgent life I do contribute to it a little bit, but only to see him smile once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we can indulge ourselves by indulging the ones we love L)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post resonated with me 2cats! my husband just quit smoking a few months ago but does still over indulge in food. Like u say however, even tho I worry about him I show my love with food so.. many times I try to prepare a meal he loves.. ALWAYS with veggeys that I encourage!
    (btw.. I would LOVE a good potato salad recipe If u get a sec to send it over!!) thanks! hope u have a good week.

    thanks for you nice comment

    ReplyDelete