Friday, May 8, 2009

Sounds in the Night

From The One-Minute Writer: Friday Fiction
(I needed more than 1 minute)

There it is again. What am I going to do? It kind of scares me. It gives me the heebie geebies.

Sometimes it sounds like one voice, sometimes like two. And sometimes I swear there is singing.

It is very faint. I can't make out individual words. It sounds like a conversation at times. There is even laughter.

If I try to tell anyone they will think I have cracked. But I have to tell someone. If I don't I WILL crack.

So this is how the conversation will go:

Me: I am hearing voices at night.
Someone: Oh not that again.
Me: No, this time it is different.
Someone: How so?
Me: Well this time there might be more than one voice and sometimes singing and occasionally laughter.
Someone: Well that is new. What are you going to do about it?
Me: I don't know that is why I am telling you.
Someone: Tell me more.
ME: Well, it is always late at night. When the rest of the world is asleep and I am the only living being awake.
Someone: Don't over dramatize.
Me: Oh right. Well it starts with just one voice. Then the singing starts. At the end of the singing, the second voice starts chatting with the first voice. And then more singing. At least I think it is singing.
Someone: It does sound strange. Are you still taking your meds?
Me: Of course I am. I learned my lesson after the last time.
Someone: How do these voices make you feel?
Me: I fell kind of scared. But still I look forward to them. It's like having unexpected company.
Someone: You sure you're on the meds?
Me: YES!
Someone: OK. OK. Where do you think the voices are coming from? Have you left a radio on in a different room? Or a TV on somewhere?
Me: No, I checked all of that when this first started happening. Everything in the house is turned off.
Someone: HM MM. Where are they coming from?
ME: Here's the thing if I tell you please don't laugh or put me away again.
Someone: OK, sure whatever.
Me: I think the voices are coming from the water heater. You know it is on the other side of my bedroom wall.

Maybe I do need a nice little rest somewhere soft and padded.

No comments:

Post a Comment