Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day

Before my husband and I got married we lived with my mom. She didn't approve of men and women living together without being married, so he slept in the bedroom with my son and I slept on the hide a bed.

When I left for work in the morning I never turned on any lights. I got dressed in the bathroom and walked out the front door immediately after exiting the bathroom, no need for lights. How was I to know that this one Valentine's Day he would have gifts there for me? Yes. gifts, plural.

I waited all day at work for a call from him. Just to say I love you and am thinking of you. I got nothing, bupkas. I did get a call from a single friend who asked what I was doing that night, I told her I was having dinner with her.

How was I to know that he had flowers waiting at home for m?. The florist couldn't guarantee delivery so he brought them home. How was I to know? How was I to know that he had made dinner reservations at a fabulous restaurant?

He had never surprised me before. And has never tired since. He was waiting up for me when I got home. Not a happy guy at all. But really how was I to know?

The following year I got a card with the words "I hate Valentine's Day" stamped all over it. That is all it said. That was the last valentine's day card I got.

But really how was I to know?

1 comment:

  1. The Love Sucks Song!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emdf2vO-rAQ

    Featuring the largest all-lady youtube collaboration in history.

    xo
    H

    ReplyDelete